Welcome to the Property Tax page for City of Sugar Hill, GA, where you can search, print, and/or pay for property tax bills.
THE PROPERTY TAX BILLS WILL BE MAILED OUT MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH. YOU CAN EXPECT YOUR TAX BILL IN THE MAIL THE SAME WEEK. YOU CAN ALSO VIEW YOUR TAX BILL ONLINE BY CLICKING THE BUTTON ABOVE.
AS OF 2021, THE CITY OF SUGAR HILL WILL BE HANDLING ALL CITY PROPERTY TAX AND STORMWATER FEE BILLING AND COLLECTION.
Property includes real estate, business assets, and personal property such as boats or airplanes. If you have questions regarding taxes or fees billed prior to 2021, please contact the Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner at (770) 822-8800.
The City tax bills were mailed on September 20, 2021 and are due on November 19, 2021.
- The tax notice will be mailed to the owner of record for the property as of January 1st of the tax year billed. If a property sale or purchase occurred after January 1st, the property taxes may have been prorated during the real estate closing. For questions regarding tax liability in a sale/purchase year, contact your closing attorney.
- Mortgage companies are provided access to property tax information; however, property owners with tax escrow accounts are responsible to ensure their taxes are paid on time. If you have an escrow account, it is your responsibility to ensure the taxes are paid. No bills are mailed directly to mortgage companies.
Sugar Hill property owners’ bills will include:
1. City of Sugar Hill property tax
2. City of Sugar Hill Stormwater fee
City of Sugar Hill property owners will also receive a bill from Gwinnett County which will include:
1. Gwinnett County Property Tax
2. Gwinnett County Public Schools Tax
For more information on Gwinnett County Property Taxes and payment methods, please visit the Gwinnett Tax Commissioner website. Gwinnett County Tax Office Payment Methods
What is property taxation?
- Property Tax is an ad valorem tax, which means “according to value”. Ad valorem tax, the tax collected by the tax officer, is based on the value of the taxable property.
What property is taxed?
- All real estate and personal property are taxable unless law has exempted the property (O.C.G.A. 48-5-3.). “Real Property” is land and generally anything that is erected, growing or affixed to the land and personal property is everything that can be owned that is not real estate. “Personal property” typically consists of inventory and fixtures used in conducting a business, such as boats, aircraft, farm machinery, motor vehicles and mobile homes. The contents of your household are not normally taxable unless they are used for a home-based business.
What is a millage rate?
- For city taxes, the tax rate or millage rate is set annually by the Mayor and Council of the City of Sugar Hill. One mill is one-thousandth of one dollar or one-tenth of one cent.
- The City of Sugar Hill has adopted a 2021 millage rate of 3.8 mils, which is the same millage rate the city has adopted for 17 consecutive years.
How is my tax bill calculated?
- To calculate a tax bill you must first deduct any exemptions, such as Homestead Exemption, that may apply from the assessed value, thus generating a net assessed (taxable) value. Next, multiply the net assessed value by the millage rate.
What is the Stormwater fee? A Stormwater user fee is not a tax.
- A Stormwater User Fee is a charge for stormwater management services provided by the City to all residential and non-residential properties in the service area. The service area contains all properties within the corporate boundaries of the City of Sugar Hill. The revenue is collected in a user fee system that can only be utilized for the provision of stormwater management services.
How will the Stormwater user fee charge be calculated?
- The City has developed a rate structure that apportions costs to properties based on the relative demand (or amount of stormwater runoff contribution) that a parcel places on the City drainage system and Stormwater Management Program. The Stormwater fee is currently set at a monthly fee in increments of $1.50 per every 1,000 square feet of impervious surface, which equates to an annual fee of $18.00 per 1,000 square feet. The Stormwater bill will be sent to the property owner with the City of Sugar Hill property tax bill.
- For more information about Stormwater click the link below or contact the City of Sugar Hill at 770-945-6716. https://cityofsugarhill.com/departments/public-works/stormwater-utility/
The county Tax Commissioner’s office is the best source of information for questions about:
- Paying your County tax bill
- Filing for Homestead Exemptions
- For all available exemptions, please visit the Gwinnett Tax Commissioner’s website.
- Receiving property tax returns
- Registration of your motor vehicle
- Purchasing tax liens
- Collecting recording intangible tax
How can I pay my Sugar Hill property tax bill?
- Pay in-person at City Hall
- Mail a check to City Hall: 5039 West Broad Street, ATTN: Property Tax Department, Sugar Hill, GA 30518
- Access the online portal at www.app.cityofsugarhill.com/tax
Can I pay my bill in multiple installments?
- Yes. The city is billing with a single due date (60 days after billing). Residents can make multiple payments if they choose. As long as the total bill has been paid by the due date, no additional charges will be applied.
What about penalty and interest charges?
- If a bill is not paid by the due date, a 10% penalty will be applied. Interest charges will also be applied each month until the total amount due is paid.
How do I pay my Gwinnett County Property Tax bill?
- For more information on Gwinnett County Property Taxes and payment methods, please visit the Gwinnett Tax Commissioner website.
- To pay your bill: Tax Commissioner Website
- For general information: Tax Assessors Office Webpage
If you have any questions, please call City Hall customer service at 770-945-6716, or email PropertyTax@cityofsugarhill.com.
City of Sugar Hill Property Tax
Phone: (770) 945-6716
Office Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Property Tax Department
5039 West Broad Street
Sugar Hill, GA 30518